Planning an Install - Fire Alarm Question

I’m planning on moving my ADT (Honeywell) install over to Konnected. I don’t really want to keep any of the existing setup, except the fire alarm install uses the same panels and sounder. I want to keep that as keeping life safety independent and secure makes sense.

How do I configure the system so I can disconnect the keypads and sensors and just leave the fire detectors and sounder? Should I move add a new keypad to just silence the fire alarm? I don’t want to touch anything until I’ve planned out the fire alarm handling. I’m in the UK and have attached 2 images showing the main and ancillary panel. There is another unit below which I am going to grab a photo from later (not entirely sure what it does).

Attached

(main panel)

1 Like

Thanks for posting your question @chrism_s, just an FYI when you go to upload the other photo can you make sure all of the images get posted. I only see one image coming through so far.

Secondary panel in main box

1 Like

Secondary box, there is also another box on the other side of the room I need to investigate

1 Like

I would suggest that the secondary box is a AC-DC power supply board. 230VAC to 24VAC transformer on the left. Bridge rectifier diodes on the top left of the board with filter capacitor. It is less clear after that but potentially regulator ICs and maybe a power cutoff relay. Thick red/black wires are main power.

You may be able to retain this to power something, depending on your final design.

1 Like

On this page Alarm Panel Pro you will find a comparison chart of the two types of Konnected boards and the two types of extension boards. Given the number of contacts that you appear to have (16?) it looks like the Pro board would work best for you. It has 12 zones so you probably need an interface board too. I have not worked with the pro boards so I can’t give you much advice on wiring details and capabilities.

The secondary panel may be able to use an Alarm Panel conversion kit (6-zones to save money) but it would be wise to ensure that it would work with the Pro panel. The smart home platform does the integration, so it would seem like it would work (to me).

Here is a picture of my home 6-zone system … for inspiration (I use the extender 6-zone board and the relay panel for additional functionality e.g., garage door sensing and open/close, siren disable for testing and alarm panel LED on off control).

1 Like

Hmmm of course it is possible and you could have the two systems running in parallel, I guess the question would be will the existing system run without the keypads removed? Is it just smoke detectors connected? I have my two smoke detectors connected to my konnected and set up to be constantly monitored via Hubitat HSM. If you got an alarm activation due to a fire alarm sensor go off how would you know which one and also silence it if you have removed the keypads off the existing system?

1 Like

thanks for the feedback, this is my thought. I want to simplify everything, smartify the stuff that should be and keep life safety functions secure.

Other option in my mind is to buy a new dedicated fire alarm panel, and then move everything else to Konnected.

1 Like