Issue thread (GDO blaq): Chamberlain RJO20 / LiftMaster 8500 / square yellow button

I think @SManCan is doing a better job at testing than me, but I am having similar problems. Seems to work for a while after a few reboots, but then starts throwing errors again. Today was crazy bad, the door kept opening itself all day! I think I have quieted down now finally after a few reboots. I’ll attach my logs, but looks very similar to data you already have.
logs_garage-door-opener-car_run.txt (44.4 KB)

There is an update coming that will allow you to manually specify that you have a smart panel for the secpuls v1 GDO’s. What this does is prevent the BlaQ from emulating the wall panel when it doesn’t detect it, which happens if the panel isn’t fully operational when the blaQ starts up.

@Ryan_P @nate - Is there any update on the timeline for release of the new firmware that hopefully resolves the issues I am seeing with the Chamberlain RJ020? thks SManCan

Yes, there is a dev branch release that’s available now. I posted instructions how to update to the dev branch on another thread here: Issue thread (GDO blaQ): Purple button garage opener with 888LM/889LM wall button - #77 by nate

We’ve been testing it for about a week and so far so good. I was planning on releasing it today or tomorrow.

After updating to this release, select the protocol to Security+1.0 with smart panel. Your issue is not actually related to the RJ020, the problem is the wall button. This setting will tell the blaQ that you already have a digital/smart wall button so it will not try to emulate one.

@nate - OK thanks, I look forward to the release.
SManCan

The blaQ firmware v1.2.0 is now released. You can update in the Konnected app (recommended) or via ESPHome.

For those of you with a Security+1.0 opener and a digital wall button like the 888/889LM or Chamberlain 41A7928-3 should select the Security+1.0 with smart panel protocol option after initial setup.

@nate @Ryan_P I am still struggling mightily with my GDOblaQ devices. Over the weekend I attempted to update the firmware on all of them to v1.2.0 through the Konnected app as advised. I built the firmware for each and installed. After install they are all showing the yellow caution symbol in the app. I am unable to reach the web page on any of the devices and receive a device is unreachable message. When I search my WiFi network none of the devices display. So it seems that the update though the app wiped my WiFi connections.
When I scan the network for Konnected devices using the app I get nothing, none of them display in WiFi settings, and none are displaying as devices on my WiFi network.

So I decided to try resetting via a USB cable at install.konnected.io.
I have tried selecting both the stable and dev builds but each time I try I see the same installation failed message

when I back out of that message I get the spinning wheel of death.

When I access the Logs & Console the console becomes unresponsive and freezes. The reset option does not become available. After several attempts I was able to download logs for one of the devices just before the console froze. Those are attached.

At this point any direction would be appreciated as I currently have 3 expensive bricks on my desk.

I have been trying to stay positive through this but that has become very difficult.

SManCan
esp-web-tools-logs.txt (132.5 KB)

@SManCan thanks for posting. We will get to the bottom of this.
@Ryan_P this is the 2nd customer that has reported this boot loop after updating and setting the 1.0 with smart panel setting. I got a similar log from a customer on Saturday (attached). I will try to reproduce tomorrow.
esp-web-tools-logs.txt (132.5 KB)

@nate, this almost looks like something wrong with the build, possibly not using the dev branch of gdolib? The restart is intentional in this case because the call to change the protocol will error due to the new value being out of range.

AHHH SHOOT! Did I screw this up by neglecting to merge gdolib/dev into master?
Yes. I did. :disappointed_relieved:

Fixing it now.
Clearly I’m juggling too many things at once.

1 Like

@nate -Any updates on this? Just tried again to update one of my units by USB and same results. Still dead in the water.

@SManCan You’re still not able to flash using the install.konnected.io web tool?

There were definitely some issues with the firmware update over last weekend that I think put your devices into a boot loop or bad state. Yikes. I’m sorry about that. I was able to reproduce the problem the other day and saw the same issue with the web flash tool.

What we can do is re-flash them on the command line with the updated firmware and basically start from fresh. Can you try the Flash using command-line tools steps to un-stuck them?

@nate -No it seems that that I am stuck as the web tool still gives the same error on all 3 devices.

When I go to the command line tools link as instructed I only see a download for the GDO white. Will the white version work black?

1 Like

No, you need the blaQ firmware (GDOv2-Q). They’re all there. This is the latest blaQ firmware: https://github.com/konnected-io/konnected-esphome/releases/download/2024.6.4/konnected-esphome-garage-door-GDOv2-Q-1.2.4.bin

If you can’t get it flashed via command line you can send them back to me and I’ll re-flash them for you.

@nate @Ryan_P

Thanks for your help. I got all 3 devices flashed via command line with help from a friend…BTW that process is not for the faint of heart.

I was then able to update all 3 devices to version 1.2.4 using the connected app and restarted each GDO blaQ.

I then tried replicating a power failure as I had previously by unplugging openers and GDO blaQ, waiting for 15 minutes, and then plugging the openers and GDO blaQ devices back in at the same time.

During startup I am still seeing a number of errors in the log files as shown below. Also, my garage door state is showing OPEN even though its CLOSED, not sure if that is related to the errors on startup.

After the initial startup, errors things seem to have settled down as shown. If I go through an Open/Close cycle using the web page, then the Garage Door State displays correctly.

So another improvement. However, the number of startup errors on startup and incorrect door state has me concerned.

SManCan

@SManCan glad you got it reflashed and sorry for the hassle! Curious what was the hard/tricky part for you or if there’s anything I can do to clarify or simplify.

Regarding the errors on startup – these are not really functional “errors” and we should probably re-word (or hide) the logging to not cause concern. All those messages mean is that the blaQ parsed some data packet that it didn’t understand or care about. It doesn’t necessarily mean that anything is wrong.

The way the GDO blaQ works is by tapping into the serial communication between your smart wall button and the opener. They talk to each other over those red and white wires sending commands and communicating state. If you have a smart wall button, it’s regularly sending data to and asking for status of the opener. A lot of it is irrelevant.

The blaQ can understand and emulate certain commands and state changes. The rest it ignores.

Regarding the incorrect state on startup… this is somewhat expected with your setup. Since you have Security+ 1.0 openers with a smart wall button, the blaQ can only listen to commands and state messages already being sent. Using the new “with smart button” setting basically disables the blaQ from asking for status on its own. It just has to wait until the door status is offered. If you didn’t have a digital button console, then the blaQ would emulate one and be able to ask for status on startup.

Hope this helps alleviate your concerns. It should be stable after initial power-up and one open/close cycle. Let me know if it isn’t.

Just to put it in perspective, the Security+ 1.0 protocol is nearly 20 years old so it’s somewhat rudimentary, and we have constraints on what’s actually possible. I’m sure nobody back when Chamberlain designed it ever considered more than one “smart button” console on the circuit.

@nate OK thanks for clarifying. I am guessing that you will end up with others having the same concern with those startup errors displayed in the logs. So yes it might be a good idea to make those a little more benign looking.

Regarding the command line ‘faint of heart’ comment. I found that there was a fair bit of trial and error required. Some may be with me as I am moderately tech savvy but a few things that I noticed.

1. I had issues with the instructions and the 64-bit version of Python. So I spun on that for a while. Once I uninstalled and re-installed with the 32-bit version then I could proceed. For example the version check examples provided would not work for me on the 64-bit version, I am assuming that commands are slightly different.
  2. With a fair bit of trial and error I found that I needed to substitute ‘esptool.py’ with ‘esptool’ when checking esptool version and more importantly in the command for flashing the device. Not sure why.
  3. There was some trial and error figuring out the COM ports as each of my 3 devices connected with a different COM port (8,9, and 10). In the end I connected to each with the Konnected Flash tool which displayed the COM port when connecting, I then backed out of that tool with the COM port knowledge, and proceeded to use the command line tool with that port number each time. Maybe there is an easier way.

SManCan

@nate - So I woke up this morning to one of the 3 garage doors open. I am only accessing the logs from the web page so I am unable to see the Konnected logs from that time. Not sure if there is another way that I can access those.
However, my Smarthings device dashboard shows some random open/close events at 1:21am/1:22am.

Yikes, that’s not good. @Ryan_P do you have any ideas on how to get to the bottom of this?

I don’t think the door actually opened/closed here, I suspect it was erroneous data that the BlaQ processed as open/closed status possibly due to line noise in the wiring. I think I will add a confirmation routine to wait for 2 same state messages before updating the state to prevent this sort of thing.