GDO blaQ - first wave of orders shipping! Install guide preview

Update on the GDO blaQ, our garage opener accessory for Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ garage opener. The first units have shipped to our earliest pre-order customers!

This has been one of our most highly anticipated products and our pre-sale has exceeded expectations. I’m very pleased with the way the product turned out, it is working great, and I cannot wait to liberate all of your garages out there!

So far we’ve shipped only 20 or so of our first pre-production batch. The first production batch is on-track to arrive late next week and we plan to ship out all of them beginning the week of April 15.

The installation guide is nearly done, and I’m excited to share a preview with you:
GDO blaQ Install Guide draft 20240404.pdf (3.4 MB)

If you’ve received one of the first units, Please use this thread to ask any questions or report any issues. Thanks!

2 Likes

Small bug: Initial setting the wifi pw on webpage did connect device to my wifi (did not use konnected app), but device retained the 192.168.4.1 IP (confirmed on router page) until I manually power cycled device, at which point it connected to correct IP range from router.

Normally not an issue, but HomeAssistant also picked up 192.168.4.1 as the device’s IP, which meant I had to manually type actual correct IP into “device found” flow from HA too.

Never had an ESP device on ESPHome FW retain IP like that. Was device doing a full reboot after confirming Wifi credentials?

Hmm, I have never seen that before. I will try to reproduce it but I’m not even sure how that happened (how could you router even see it on that IP range??). That WiFi captive portal is built-in to ESPHome

I don’t think it does a full reboot after WiFi credentials are updated. I’ll check into that.

If that’s the only bug you find then we’re in good shape!

Just hours after arrival, so haven’t got to placing onto actual garage door, so this was just an observation of typing up to wifi and HA. Crossing fingers…

Just installed my GDOv2-Q. Everything went well and according the the Install Guide. Full control with the app, lots of features exposed! Had a bit of trouble getting connected to the local network but I can’t be sure what this issue was, probably on my end. Started over and it was already connected. I will send you more detail on the install when I get everything sorted out.

I got this so I could connect to Hubitat. I followed the guidelines for V1 of the Hubitat driver. So far no luck. Has anyone had success connecting to Hubitat?

Thanks, nice product.
Dave

Great to hear! I will reach out to you when I have the Hubitat driver ready. It should not be long.

Any plans to have PoE on a GDO?

I did try to connect the GDO to Alexa. I used the Konnected skill and everythining seemed to work. Even though Alexa recognizes the open and close commands, the garage door does not move.
Has anyone got Alexa to work?
Thanks, Dave

Still in the “idea” stage but maybe one day.

1 Like

Finally fully hooked up to GDO already in use with MyQ. No conflicts, myQ still working without any errors, webpage from ESPHome interface working without any errors, and integration from Home Assistant working without any errors.

All tested/working: Lights, audible warnings, obstruction sensor (slightly delayed in reporting state by 1-2 sec though), up/down/stop controls, garage light on/off. % closed looks correct in debug out on webpage when garage was stopped half way.

My GDO: Chamberlain MyQ Ready B503 (paired with Chamberlain myQ+Wifi B550)

Not tried: Factory reset. Adjusting opening/closing duration. Learning. Locking remotes. I have no motion sensor.

(Removed incorrect comment on partial opening… brain fart on my part for not seeing during quick testing)

OVERALL: VERY HAPPY for a first rev of firmware and stability. (Aside from odd network first connection that only happens in setup I noted in seperate message earlier.)

You should be able to do this. The Garage Door entity in HA should appear as a slider like this which should indicate and allow you to drag to a specific open percentage.

You can also use the Cover: set position service in HA to set the garage door to a specific percentage from an automation or other trigger.

YOU ARE CORRECT, I never tapped the “garage_door” object to get the full interface. JUST TESTED, All working for % open/close like you said!

My unit arrived and it installed and paired with HA. Opening and closing the door works through HA and the sensors update. Great!

I adopted the device via the ESPHome dashboard and ESPHome is telling me there is a firmware update but the update fails with the following message:

INFO ESPHome 2024.3.1
INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/konnected-9c4440.yaml…
INFO Updating https://github.com/konnected-io/konnected-esphome@None
WARNING GPIO3 is a strapping PIN and should only be used for I/O with care.
Attaching external pullup/down resistors to strapping pins can cause unexpected failures.
See Frequently Asked Questions — ESPHome
INFO Generating C++ source…
INFO Compiling app…
Processing konnected-9c4440 (board: esp32-s3-devkitc-1; framework: espidf; platform: platformio/espressif32@5.4.0)

HARDWARE: ESP32S3 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 8MB Flash

• framework-espidf @ 3.40406.240122 (4.4.6)
  • tool-cmake @ 3.16.4
  • tool-ninja @ 1.7.1
  • toolchain-esp32ulp @ 2.35.0-20220830
  • toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch5
  • toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3 @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch5
    Reading CMake configuration…
    Dependency Graph
    |-- ArduinoJson @ 6.18.5
    |-- Improv @ 1.2.3
    |-- noise-c @ 0.1.4
    Linking .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/bootloader.elf
    /data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3/bin/…/lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32s3-elf/8.4.0/…/…/…/…/xtensa-esp32s3-elf/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdolib
    /data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3/bin/…/lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32s3-elf/8.4.0/…/…/…/…/xtensa-esp32s3-elf/bin/ld: cannot find -lsecplus
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/libc20/noise-c/backend/sodium/hash-sha256.o
    Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/libc20/noise-c/crypto/aes/rijndael-alg-fst.o
    Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/libc20/noise-c/crypto/blake2/blake2b.o
    Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/libc20/noise-c/crypto/blake2/blake2s.o
    Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/libc20/noise-c/crypto/chacha/chacha.o
    Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/libc20/noise-c/crypto/donna/curve25519-donna-c64.o
    *** [.pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/bootloader.elf] Error 1
    Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/libc20/noise-c/crypto/donna/curve25519-donna.o
    ========================== [FAILED] Took 9.61 seconds ==========================

I have that same problem too. Also upgrading to the latest version of ESP Home generated an error also.

The firmware that shipped on the device is the latest. There may be a minor ESPHome patch version update which is why you’re seeing an update notice in ESPHome, but it’s insignificant for this device. You’re not missing any features or capabilities.

I will look into the build error.

1 Like

New issue today attempt to close both garage doors. There is an audible alert but the garage doors do not close. Status on both show open and close greyed out only stop visible. Attempted to reboot no luck

This has happened to me as well. If I open the garage device (tap the name in HA) there is a slider and I can drag that slider to close it to 0% and it closes.

So my report would be something like: “garage door close via slider to 0% is more reliable than hitting the down arrow to close”.

I will look into the build error.

@nate thanks for looking into the build error. Makes sense about a minor ESPHome patch. Those happen fairly often and the update notifications are sticky in HA so we’ll want to get that working for the long run.

Here’s a more detailed build error:

Linking .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/bootloader.elf
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32s3-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32s3-elf/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdolib
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32s3-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32s3-elf/bin/ld: cannot find -lsecplus
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
*** [.pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/bootloader.elf] Error 1
Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9c4440/lib3b7/libsodium/crypto_scalarmult/curve25519/ref10/x25519_ref10.o

19 posts were split to a new topic: GDO blaQ - sometimes garage door will not move when commanded

I can see the garage door opener in my Smartthings app but it shows offline.

I think I read on another forum that Smartthings integration was still in the works, is that right?