Garage door with GDO blaQ in Home Assistant opens spontaneously

I purchased and installed 2 GDO blaqs, one for each of my garage doors. Installation was a breeze and adding to Home Assistant was straightforward. I added buttons and indicators to my dashboards. All seemed good.

However; one of the doors spontaneously opens about once daily. Not at the same time of day. There have been a couple of times that I’ve seen the status change from closed to open in the HA dashboard on my phone on the table in front of me. My partner wasn’t even close to her phone so I don’t think anyone accidentally hit the open button. Any ideas where to start looking for the gremlin who is opening the door?

Does the Logbook for the cover entity show anything? If the door was opened through Home Assistant, it should indicate the source.

Do your GDOs use Security 2+ or Security 1+? Are you running the latest firmware on the BlaQs?

Thank you. Prompted me to look harder for the logs. I was looking for logs in all the wrong places :rofl:

Security 2+
Firmware 2024.4.2 (May 1 2024)
The logs for the spontaneous opening last night do not show anything triggering it. The first log is: {device name} is opening.

Security 2+

I can’t be of much help, then. There were some issues with Security 1+ openers where the door would move when the blaQ was restarted, but not with the S2+ openers.

The firmware version you listed is the ESPHome version. This is not the latest, so I think you don’t have the latest firmware. The version of the actual blaQ firmware release is shown in Home Assistant in the Device Info box for the blaQ, next to hardware version. The latest is 1.1.1.

1 Like

Your firmware is definitely more current. I’ll look through Konnected site for instructions on upgrading the firmware. Thanks.

@CharlieK Sorry for not following up on this. Did you get it resolved?
Definitely should not be opening by itself.

Yes, I did with a subsequent issue of not being able to connect to the devices from Home Assistant. The problem turned out to be that the local native API and web page weren’t turned on after the firmware update. Once properly configured, everything worked fine.

1 Like

I’m locking this thread as it seems to have been resolved. If there are still issues related to random/unexpected opening and closing on Security+1.0 openers, please continue the discussion here: Issue thread (GDO blaQ): Security+1.0 openers randomly or unexpectedly trigger opening or closing