Installing the garage door opener's secondary magnetic detector

I installed the Konnected Garage Door Opener, as the Chamberlain myQ had too many restrictions on opening. I had previously ordered the magnetic detector to put on my pool gate, but my order accidentally came with two detectors, so I decided to put the second one on the garage door. I haven’t found much information on how or where to install the detector, so I’m posting what I did here.

The challenge is that the detector doesn’t work when it’s too far from the magnet, and there are few places one can put the detector where it won’t interfere with the operation of the door. I decided to put it where the door track starts curving from vertical to horizontal. I installed the magnet on the side of the top of the door. To get the detector into the right place, I had to mount a piece of wood to the side to get the magnet close enough to the detector, and put the detector on the side of that piece of wood. I cut a spare 2x4 into a piece of wood to 4 1/2" x 1 1/2" by 1 1/2". Be careful cutting such a small piece of wood with power tools. I used a chop saw with a backing piece of wood clamped to the wings of the chop saw.

The dimensions aren’t too critical, as long as it clears the track while aligned with the magnet, and you use a long enough screw to get from the back of the wood through the drywall into the wood structure.

I drilled two holes with a countersink bit for the screws which will hold the block to the house, and used 2 1/2" #10 flathead screws.

Here is a picture of the mounting block attached to the wall:

Here is a picture of the magnet attached to the garage door. This was very thin metal, so don’t overdrive the screw. I recommend using a hand screwdriver instead of a power tool.

Here is a picture with the garage door open, for a better view of where the mounting block is relative to the rest of the garage hardware and garage opening:

1 Like