Alarm Panel Pro delays & backorders - Jan 2024

:sparkles: Update on Alarm Panel Pro fulfillment

We’ve received about 20% of batch 2403 from the manufacturer that are working great and passing all of our functional tests, and we’ve fulfilled all backorders thru order number #43650 (orders placed before January 30th).

Macrofab is continuing to replace the affected part on the remaining boards, thoroughly test each one, and we’re seeing much better results but unfortunately not all of them are passing after the repair. We’re continuing to deep-dive into some design aspects of the board to try to identify a magic bullet.

1 Like

Hi @nate
Would you have any spare Pro boards from 2403 batch left, please?
Was thinking of experimenting or reflowing a new ethernet chip on to it… will think of a few ideas.
If not, would be useful to be used w WiFi board

Thanks

Hi. New user on here. Been watching this topic through since late last year. UK based and need to update current 10old wired honeywell alarm panel. The Pro board and everything about it seems ideal, with the obvious issue being, you dont have any !
I am trying to see what i can purchase on Amazon UK but availability is zero - i have a house + garage to cover so ideally i need 18 zones covered. 3 x 6 zone wifi only beasties ? Wifi signal can be bad and ideally want a wired option. Any advice or recommendations would be great.

Hi Nate, have you guys been continuing to get working units in the last 2 weeks? Just checking to see if fulfillments are able to continue or if there’s been any other snags.

2 Likes

Hi from the UK.

I’m extremely keen to get hold of an Alarm Panel Pro 12-Zone Conversion Kit; my existing (very old) alarm/HA system recently died and as well as really wanting a working alarm system ASAP, I’d like to take the opportunity to convert and integrate my existing sensors with Homeassistant.

What would be the quickest way to get hold of one of the new boards (I need a wired option) ?
Do I need to wait for them to be stocked in Amazon UK, or can I order elsewhere ?

Also, if I need more zones do I simply add an extra 6-zone conversion panel ?

Thanks for any advice!

Can we please get a 15 day update? Thanks!

1 Like

The following is a transcript of the above video update, so it may not be 100% grammatically correct –

Hey everyone, it’s Nate here from Konnected!

Um … so I got a bit of an update on the Alarm Panel Pro situation and I wanted to be real with you and kind of say this face to face so to speak. It’s not great news, but we’ll get through it.

First recap… um so at the end of December last year 2023 we received a batch of Alarm Panel Pros and during our QA process we quickly realized that they were not connecting via Ethernet the way that they should. Some were connecting, some not at all. Most of them had severe Ethernet link quality issues, so, of course we immediately went into a kind of debug fix mode. Sent most of them back to the manufacturer to see if they could figure out what the problem was, and that’s been ongoing since early January.

In the meantime we’ve had a half dozen engineers from MacroFab, our manufacturer in Houston, looking at it trying different things … replacing the Ethernet controller on the board.
I’ve hired a third-party engineering firm, and they’ve looked at the boards also, tried to do some fixing and debugging, and we’ve basically been a roller coaster. We’ve gone back and forth thinking that oh we have a solution … but no, it didn’t pan out the way we thought. It was basically … long story short is … the fixes that, we thought, were going to get the Alarm Panel Pro back working again with Ethernet haven’t panned out the way that we expected and the boards that are coming back after being fixed – most of them are not meeting the quality expectation that we have.

So, unfortunately, that means that we have to start over with a new batch of Alarm Panel Pros and make some changes to the design that will mitigate this problem completely.

Basically, what I’ve learned over the last three months is that you know the there may be some differences or some deficiencies in the design – specifically in the way that the … you know, the electrons route from the Ethernet port here into the Ethernet controller here. So what we’ve done is re-layed out some of the traces on the board to make that path more direct and less prone to error.

It’s still kind of a mystery as to how this design worked so well for so many years and then, all of a sudden, didn’t. Because almost all of our panels manufactured before late 2023 have been performing just fine, and now they’re not, and we hadn’t really changed much in the design. It could be minor differences in the substrate used to create the PCBs, minor differences in the way that the boards are washed. It’s very difficult to actually come up with the exact root cause.

Anyway, I don’t want to bore you with all the details…

Here’s what we’re going to do and here’s kind of the upshot of it is that we’ve we’ve made some changes to the design of the board that we’re pretty confident are going to fix it and make the board a better quality overall. I don’t have 100% confirmation of that yet because we still need to wait for those PCBs and test them, so that’s another couple weeks out and then assuming that’s good, then the the the boards – the bulk of the manufacturing batch should be another couple weeks after that.

So, that means for those of you who have ordered an Alarm Panel Pro — and we have several hundred backorders – It’s going to be another month wait at least maybe a month to two months. I don’t have a timeline specifically at this time, but as soon as I do I will update you.

What we’re going to do is issue a credit – a promotional credit – to everybody who’s backordered an Alarm Panel Pro. This is a crappy situation for us all. I know you guys --some of you – have been waiting since early February for your boards. Basically, anyone who has ordered an Alarm Panel Pro that’s on back order still will be receiving a $79 promotional credit per board purchased via email here – today, tomorrow or as soon as I can get to it.

That’s true for anybody who continues to purchase an Alarm Panel Pro until they’re in stock. So if you backorder an Alarm Panel Pro now, you will get a $79 credit to use on a future order.

Now we have also we have several hundred of these boards that don’t work very well on Ethernet. However, they work fine on Wi-Fi and are fully functional otherwise. So, unfortunately, we can’t fix the Ethernet, or at least it’s prohibitively expensive to do so, and we’ve decided to just move on from it. So I’m selling these for Wi-Fi only kind of as a liquidation, and the price is $79.

So if you want to – if you’ve purchased an Alarm Panel Pro, and you’re waiting for your Ethernet capable Alarm Panel Pro that we are 100% committed to delivering to you, you will receive a $79 credit which you can then use to purchase one of these Wi-Fi only Alarm Panel Pros – or Ethernet “sort of works” Alarm Panel Pros immediately. These are available to ship immediately.

Or you could use that $79 credit for something else. You could use it towards another Alarm Panel Pro, anything else in our store, one of our new garage door openers, anything you want.

The terms and the details of this $79 promotional credit will be in the post and on the product page.

For those of you who are waiting for your fully functional Alarm Panel Pro, I promise you I’m going to do everything I can to get that to you as quickly as possible, and I am not compromising on quality. It has to pass our tests – because that’s basically the brand that we’ve created. The Alarm Panel Pro is a pro product, and I will insist that it still is a pro product.

So that’s the update about the Alarm Panel Pro. I wish I had better news. This has been very frustrating and challenging and expensive for all of us we’re doing our best to get through it, I hope the $79 credit makes it hurt a little bit less. And that we can continue to provide the best in accessible and affordable IoT and home automation.

Thank you for your support and let me know what you think, and I will be updating you as soon as I get more details from the manufacturer about timelines for the new Pros.

1 Like

Thank you for this update. I think the credit is an awesome good will gesture. I would like to use my credit to get one of the current boards so I can get my system up and running via wifi until the new batch comes out. This will be a big help for me. I really appreciate this offer and your efforts to put out a great product while keeping us updated.

1 Like

For those of us in the UK, who have to buy from Amazon UK, will we be able to take advantage of the credit?
Many thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

The promotion is only available on purchases made directly on konnected.io. We ship worldwide. You don’t have to buy from Amazon.

@nate correct, But I had to pay an extra 100€ incoming taxes when ordering directly… on top of the transport fee, but that one I knew in advance (ok it was for 2x alarm pro and 2x USB power adaptors ;-)) so I understand why people in Europe want to buy via Amazon

Since June 2023 we are now VAT-registered in the UK so taxes are calculated and collected up-front and all shipments to the UK are sent duty-paid. You will not receive any surprise bills upon delivery.

1 Like

@nate then something went wrong as I had to pay +/- 100€ extra this month?

UK is no longer part of the EU… maybe that’s the problem?

Hi @nate ,
What about the import duties and taxes for EU countries like Ireland?

This is certainly not made clear. At the top of your pages it says, in German, “Sie können aus Europa kaufen” - “you can buy this from Europe”. It heavily implies this is the preferred way of doing things. You even refer to m.nu and Amazon.co.uk as “partners”, not “resellers”.

EDIT: as I mysteriously seem to be rate-limited all of a sudden and cannot reply…

In fact I just looked and it’s over €30 to ship from the USA. Maybe that also contributes to the reasons for buying from your authorised partners?

Regardless, it feels like this really isn’t the time to be quibbling if people are owed compensation for non-functioning goods, not when Konnected’s reputation is on the line…

We are currently VAT-registered in the UK, Germany, Poland and Czech Republic. We are able to collect and pay VAT for orders to these countries only. Shipments to all other european countries will be sent “DDU” and you will likely pay the VAT to FedEx upon delivery.

You certainly can and we do normally try to support our partners as much as we can by sending them the local business. However, our partners are each independent companies and they set their own prices and promotions.

The Alarm Panel Pro liquidation stock is only being sold by us directly. We’re already taking a loss on them, so there’s no margin for our partners to resell.

Problem is, the tax is calculated pre-discount, so it works out pretty expensive for a temporary solution still

As far as I’m aware, VAT should only be charged on the discounted price (in this case, £0.61 + £16 shipping)

Hmm I think you may be right. I think it’s being calculated that way because of the way the promotional credit was issued as a cash gift card, it’s not seen as a discount, it’s seen as a form of payment. In this case, please DM me your contact/shipping information and I can set up the order manually for you.

I believe its not up to Konencted.
Unfortunately, Import Duty is calculated on the value of the item regardless we paid with promo credits or actual money.
That’s just how customer/import taxes work. (I’m not happy about that either, but its what it is)