Pro Panel - Troubleshooting Unreliable WiFi Connection - 3 ft from Access Point

My Pro panel is not staying connected via wifi. The ping response is really bad.
And the unit is only 3 ft from the Access Point.

This results in errors with the Konected App, Home Assistant and/or Smart Things communicating with the board.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim

Request timeout for icmp_seq 92
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=93 ttl=255 time=766.360 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 94
Request timeout for icmp_seq 95
Request timeout for icmp_seq 96
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=96 ttl=255 time=1512.399 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=97 ttl=255 time=511.756 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 99
Request timeout for icmp_seq 100
Request timeout for icmp_seq 101
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=101 ttl=255 time=1420.487 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=103 ttl=255 time=963.042 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 104
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=105 ttl=255 time=486.314 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 106
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=107 ttl=255 time=517.944 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 108
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=108 ttl=255 time=1106.360 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=109 ttl=255 time=354.371 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=110 ttl=255 time=1082.189 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=111 ttl=255 time=110.461 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=112 ttl=255 time=102.520 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 114
Request timeout for icmp_seq 115
Request timeout for icmp_seq 116
Request timeout for icmp_seq 117
Request timeout for icmp_seq 118
Request timeout for icmp_seq 119
Request timeout for icmp_seq 120
Request timeout for icmp_seq 121
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=122 ttl=255 time=128.226 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=123 ttl=255 time=124.585 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=124 ttl=255 time=63.223 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 125
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=126 ttl=255 time=220.447 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 127
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=128 ttl=255 time=139.817 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 129
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=130 ttl=255 time=82.007 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=131 ttl=255 time=103.106 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=132 ttl=255 time=175.509 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.231: icmp_seq=133 ttl=255 time=43.339 ms

It’s 99% most likely not a WiFi issue at all. A lot of times it seems like a WiFi problem because the WiFi constantly re-connects, but it’s really a configuration issue. The board is rebooting for some reason, resulting in the intermittent ping timeouts. You can also verify by the blue LED on the device, it would be blinking in a pattern each time it reboots and re-connects to WiFi.

Reboot can be caused by a number of things, but most likely the endpoint of the controller/hub you have it pointed to is not responding or the IP address changed. The simplest thing to do is factory reset the device and re-configure it.

To find out the precise cause of the reboot cycle, connect the device by USB and go to install.konnected.io, click Connect, then Logs & Console, then Reset device to capture a log from the device as it boots and reboots. Post that log here and I’d be happy to take a look.

I have forwarded logs and the board connects and stays connected (Green Light - Steady), The response to Web Device Information fails to provide data 8 out of 10 tries. Pings times are all over the place from 25ms to 3000ms or a timeout. Logs do not show any clear points of failure or cycling.

The AP and Board are next to each other (within 3 feet), AP reports a strong signal. It looks like good signal strength, but data packets are not being generated reliably.

I agree wifi failures are rare but I continue to suspect the wifi interface is defective. The failure to send data packets may be deeper than the Wi-Fi board. It could be driver failure or processor overheating/lockup. I trust this is a one-off anomaly so I would like to exchange it for another. Level 1 connection appears solid, but Level 2/3 data delivery is erratic, perhaps a symptom of data buffer issues.

I have an Ethernet cable connected and draped around door into the other side of the wall, directly connected to the AP. Hard wired it reports steady responses with low ping times and every device information request via html responds with data. Unfortunately, this blocks a closet doorway so it’s not a long-term solution. In the hard wire state, the Home Assistant is responding as expected. All pings are within 20ms of each other.

I’m back to the only efficient next step after all the diagnostic communication via email with tech support for the past days and testing, the most efficient and reasonable next step to swap the hardware. It will identify my user error and/or allow you time to diagnose any hardware or firmware issues that this board may have.

I’ve been very patient and reasonable as a customer, but I believe we have both shown due diligence to research and resolve this issue without success. It’s time to exchange the hardware.

Where are the logs? Where did you forward them?

Hi @W9TIM, I found the logs you sent directly to our helpdesk. From the logs that you sent, I don’t see anything that indicates a rebooting or WiFi problem.

I would strongly suggest that since you are using Home Assistant as your smart home platform (as you indicated) that you install our ESPHome firmware build on this device. ESPHome is not only more feature-rich, but it also supports streaming logs so we should be able to get a lot more detailed information about the WiFi connection over time.

After installing ESPHome and re-discovering/re-configuring your zones in Home Assistant, please capture a new log wirelessly by going to the device’s ESPHome-powered internal web page at http://. Feel free to post that log here so I can take a look. At least if there is a hardware problem, it should have a similar behavior regardless of the firmware.

Ok. It’s becoming clear that you have no interest in a warranty/guarantee exchange of the board.

As stated in several of my communications, the board works perfectly when connected via ethernet hard wire. We have tested ALL external resources including Home Assistant they are working fine. When all the external options have been eliminated - the problem is with the Konnected Pro board interface or its driver firmware.

I’ve been more than cooperative and patient as you push multiple solutions and investigation steps - As I have suggested and now insist. - Let’s exchange the board and you can test it to your heart’s delight. The board exchange board should make it clear if the issue is user error or hardware.

It is possible that it’s a firmware issue, that’s why I suggested that you try ESPHome firmware instead of the stock “Konnected” firmware, to see if the same problem manifests. That would greatly help narrow down the issue to to either hardware or network factors (by eliminating the firmware as the possible problem), and will provide us more detailed logging to fully grasp the source of the problem.

We now recommend ESPHome firmware for all Home Assistant users. Soon we’ll be migrating all of our platform integrations to work on-top of ESPHome firmware. The Konnected stock firmware is no longer receiving significant feature updates.

We are more than happy to replace the item under warranty, if and when we determine that there is a hardware issue or defect with manufacturing. So far we haven’t determined that. It wouldn’t make sense to replace the hardware if it will have the same problem as your current hardware.

ESP Home Install was a failure - See Below

Had to use screen shots since log will not download. . .

Hi Tim,

The first time you install ESPHome firmware, it requires a physical re-flash of the board. The bootloader is different on Konnected’s stock firmware, and it can’t be initially OTA-updated via ESPHome. That’s why you’re seeing the connectivity failures here.

Recommend flashing (with a USB cable) from Konnected Flash Tool - ESPHome - Install Konnected via Web Browser or download the appropriate release binary from Releases · konnected-io/konnected-esphome · GitHub and flash it using esptool.py.

Once ESPHome is flashed physically for the first time, future updates and config changes can me made over the air. See: Adopt a Konnected device running ESPHome into ESPHome Dashboard

I performed the esphome compile and device flash - these ended in failure (see above - first screen shot - last line. - Address was detected correctly - and basic level 1 communicaiton with the access point was etablished - green light, but no data exchange).

After working with it for a while - gave up, flashed it back to Konnected firmware that at least works with the temporary hard wire.

This made no improvement in the situation. - We are now cycling into repeating steps and diagnostics hoping for different results. - That makes two different firmware packages that have failed on Wi-Fi.

Yes this is because ESPHome was not already installed on the device. You can only flash ESPHome over-the-air on a device that is already running ESPHome. Konnected’s original firmware does not use the same OTA updating mechanism as ESPHome, and port 3232 is not open when running Konnected’s firmware.

I don’t think you can conclude this because ESPHome was never loaded on to the device (per your screenshots).

Again, I suggest you flash the device with ESPHome using a USB cable so we can make some forward progress.

The screenshots were from flashing the device with a USB Cable!
It never connected over the air.

No, something went wrong then because the screenshots you posted shows it trying to update the device over the network via ESPHome’s OTA update port 3232. An update over USB would look like this:

On Mac OS the device should automatically show up as /dev/cu.usbserial-XXXX (where XXXX is some number). You can confirm that it’s being flashed over USB because you will see output from esptool.py and mention of the Serial port it’s connecting to.

The easiest way to do this is via our web-based tool at Konnected Flash Tool - ESPHome - Install Konnected via Web Browser

You are truly expecting too much of your customer base. It either works or it doesn’t.
I’ve followed the GitHub instructions and the Konnected.io/esphome instructions to the letter, such as they are, both compile, upload firmware via USB, and then FAIL.

So far the only solution has been Ethernet Hard Wire with the Konnected Integration which works perfectly - this board just simply doesn’t work with Wi-Fi.

I’ve invested hours in this and the ESPHome instruction path is very poorly documented.

End Of Line

Can you post a screenshot of the failure?