Losing Web Page Connection

I seem to been having a problem where the webserver keeps failing / stopping and so I have no connection to the unit’s webpage. It’s still on the network as I can ping it and if I try to control it through HomeAssistant it works.

However when i try to access it using its IP address I get this:

Running fiormware 1.2.4.4, and was trying to upgrade to 1.2.4.5. However using the Konnected App and it keeps failing because it can’t open the socket at 3232, which I assume is related?

Have unplugged the unit and there is no change in behaviour.

Other symptom is that I have the Chowmain controller for C4 is showing as disconnected so i can’t control it through C4.

Have you enabled the Local Web Page/API in the firmware settings? This must be enabled for the web page and REST API to work.

Go back to the firmware settings, make sure it’s enabled, and perform the firmware update. If you keep getting the socket error, quit and restart the Konnected app.

Yes, all those setting were enabled.

I did manage to resolve last night by restarting the device through HomeAssistant. Once I did that I could immediately access the web-page again and the firmware process also worked. The Chowmain Control4 driver also automatically reconnected. Not sure why unplugging the unit and plugging it back in didn’t resolve the problem.

This has happened before.

And I just now tried to access the webpage for the device and it’s again giving me the same error, that it can’t reach the page and is taking too long to respond. I restarted the device through HA and I can access the webpage again.

Seems like something is crashing?

Incidentally whilst I am responding the log-book keeps showing Garage Door Obstructions. Not sure why given there are no sensors and the garage door was closed the whole time.

Can you try to capture logs from the device while you’re trying to access the web page? See this post for how to stream logs wirelessly.

Interesting that you’re using HA and C4! Theoretically it should work, but I wonder if the C4 driver is putting a load on the web server that’s causing it to crash. Logs should be helpful to diagnose that.

The Garage Door Obstruction sensor uses the garage opener’s electric beam across the garage opening to report its state. It would change to the problem state when a vehicle or object is blocking that beam.

I am currently using the konnected app to manage the device and so I can’t seem to add the device to the ESPHome Dashboard at all. Based on other thread it seems as though I need to reflash and start again to get this managed through ESPHome?

Subsequent edit - On the obstruction issue I am in New Zealand and so far as I know we don’t have the obstruction sensor in our openers, hence my confusion as to why I am getting the obstruction warning. Even more so since happening in middle of the night when there is no-one in the garage …

Yes, there are two ways to manage your firmware updates and settings, the DIY way thru ESPHome dashboard or the done-for-you way via Konnected app. It would get confusing if you were using both methods at the same time to manage firmware updates on the same device, so if you’re running a build from the Konnected app, it will not show up in esphome dashboard. There’s probably a way to make it work by manually creating a YAML config pointing to Konnected’s package, but we’re not going to support that.

But you don’t need the ESPHome dashboard to view logs. Just use the command line:

esphome logs garage-door-GDOv2-Q.yaml --device 192.168.XX.XXX

See here for details

Regarding the obstruction sensor: Honestly I don’t know why you would be getting state changes if you don’t have one. The state of the obstruction sensor is reported on the security+ wire protocol, so the blaQ just reads that and reports it, nothing else. I have never tested it without an obstruction sensor because here in the U.S. they’re required. The garage won’t close without one.

I’ve been told that in Australia the IR beam sensor is required if you have automated closing technology installed. I don’t know about the laws in New Zealand. You should be able to add one if you want to: Obstruction Detection Beams for Garage Doors 774AML | Chamberlain AU

Or just set that sensor to disabled in HA if you don’t want to see it. I don’t think this is related to the web page issue at all.