Konnected's Garage Door Opener now works in Hubitat!

Finally! Hubitat users can now integrate their garage door opener 100% locally with Konnected’s Smart Garage Door Opener!

We launched the GDO in May initially with two firmware variants – one for our cloud-based integrations like SmartThings and Alexa (based on our original alarm panel firmware) and an alternate firmware built on ESPHome for local integrations. Initially we could only support Home Assistant locally, since it natively integrates with ESPHome. But now, thanks to the ESPHome API library for Hubitat by bradsjm we have released a Hubitat driver for our Garage Door Opener based on the fast and local ESPHome.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 2.24.48 PM

Hubitat users know that local control is important, and that’s why ESPHome is such a great choice as a new firmware platform. Its native API is impressively quick and flexible.

Both the ESPHome firmware for our GDO and the Hubitat drivers are open-source, allowing you to freely customize your device’s behavior and capabilities. I’m very impressed at what ESPHome can do – it’s powerful. However, customizing firmware is not that simple for everyone, so Konnected is trying to make it easy and accessible with a simple plug and play setup:

1. Flash your device at install.konnected.io/garage-door-opener
  2. Install the Hubitat driver bundle
  3. Connect the wires
  4. Mount the garage door opener on the ceiling
  5. Calibrate the sensor

And now your garage door is smart – without any cloud service or third-party app!

Great timing, too because our Garage Door Opener is currently at it’s lowest price ever for thru Cyber Monday!

1 Like

If we’ve setup the garage door opener for Home Assistant already do we need to update the firmware to get it to work with Hubitat, and if so will doing that make it stop reporting the wired sensor again? Also can it be connected to both systems at the same time?

Thanks.

No, both Home Assistant and Hubitat use the ESPHome firmware so you don’t need to change the firmware. I do recommend you keep up-to-date with the latest release though.

Yes! I believe so!

This is the first time I’ve used a bundle so maybe I missed a step there? When I tried to add my Garage Door I get the following logs and it never connects:

@tterk1 The ESPHome API library for Hubitat does not support encryption, so if you’re using it with an encryption key for Home Assistant, it will not be able to connect. The workaround for now is to remove the encryption key in your ESPHome config, then it should work.

I hope to work with the original author of the ESPHome API library for Hubitat to see if its feasible to add encryption support in the future.

If you’re using our pre-built firmware as-is, encryption is not enabled.

Great it is working in both Hubitat and Home Assistant now. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

So the GDO device is configured. It is online, calibrated, and works in the Device screen.
Should we set the “Status attribute for Devices/Rooms”.
If so, to what?
Most importantly, when I try use the GDO in a Dashboard, I can find no device for it.
There is nothing useful in my “Pick a Device” list or “Pick a Template” list.
There is “Garage” - no good, “Garage (Control)” - no good.

I am using the latest Hubitat software 2.3.6.146 on a C-8 Hubitat.
It’ll be the greatest if I can add it to my Dashboard.

Nevermind.
I forgot the step to add the device to the Dashboardl
It has been a long since I changed my dashboard.

I guess I need to buy two more GDO’s now.
Cool.

Thank you for your order, @Steve_Kutoroff !
Glad you are enjoying it.

The status attribute option should normally be set to door, because that’s the main thing you want to monitor.

Alright, 2 of 3 GDOs operating.
Both were set to proper Hubitat firmware. Both on my network. Both integrated with Hubitat.
My dashboard button for them works as expected.
The button is green when closed and red when open. Great.
BUT, the original one when closed shows a red/orange LED.
The new one, installed today when closed shows a green LED.
The green seems cool, just like the button.
Why does the older one show red/orange? It looks weird.
Later this week I’ll get the third one up and report. I’m betting it’ll show green closed.

The green LED on the Konnected GDO is a power indicator. It’s always on.
There’s also a red LED that indicates that the strobe output is on. You probably turned it on by accident and may not have anything wired to the strobe output. Turn it off in Hubitat using the on/off commands.

The GDO doesn’t have a built-in LED indicator of the door open or closed.

:bookmark: LED Indicator Light Colors and Meanings

You nailed it.
There is an unlabelled Off-On pair of boxes. Took a shot at it and bingo, both GDOs show Green.
Thanks.
Hope to get number three up tomorrow. I have the process down pretty well now and the last one is already updated, on my network, and in my dashboard.