How to expand the packages section

I’m confused by ESPHome Customization on the Konnected Alarm Panel Pro How does one “expand the packages section to include the packages that you need from our default package”? Are you suggesting we should copy the software from github and paste it into the panel?

I do see carets that expand a few extra lines depending on the section, but the caret in front of packages shows or hides the one line link to github. ESPHome V2023.6.2

1 Like

I found out a scenario where there are carets that expand packages. If I create a new ESPHome instance and copy alarm-panel-pro-esp32-ethernet.yaml into that instance, I can indeed expand (and contract) packages. (If I need to do it manually, I prefer the previous versions of the application that had lines to select local package files.)

The failure to see packages that can be expanded occurs when the installation instructions are followed:

1. Install the appropriate image from Konnected Flash Tool - ESPHome - Install Konnected via Web Browser;
  2. Adopt the image in ESPHome
  3. Build and OTA update the custom firmware for the device.

The program in my first post is the resulting program after following the documentation as I understand it. Did I do something wrong?

1 Like

It doesn’t automatically expand the packages like with a caret to click on. Sorry if that language was misleading. What I mean by this is yes, literally copy and paste the contents of the packages section of the main package from Github into your configuration instance.

So yes, in this case when you follow the quick-start and you flash ESPHome with our pre-built images, you get a simple config with one main package that looks like this:

substitutions:
  name: alarm-panel-pro-xxxxxx
packages:
  konnected.alarm-panel-pro-esp32-ethernet: github://konnected-io/konnected-esphome/alarm-panel-pro-esp32-ethernet.yaml@master
esphome:
  name: ${name}
  name_add_mac_suffix: false
api:
  encryption:
    key: UNIQUE_GENERATED_KEY_FOR_HOME_ASSISTANT

If you want to customize what packages to include, by “expand the packages” we mean replace the main package with the list of packages from that file. So just open the source of the main package on Github, copy and paste the packages section replacing (comments removed for brevity):

substitutions:
  name: alarm-panel-pro-xxxxxx
packages:
  remote_package:
    url: http://github.com/konnected-io/konnected-esphome
    ref: master
    refresh: 5min
    files:
      - packages/alarm-panel-esp32-base.yaml
      - packages/ethernet.yaml
      - packages/status-led.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone1.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone2.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone3.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone4.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone5.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone6.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone7.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone8.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone9.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone10.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone11.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/zone12.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/alarm1.yaml
      - packages/alarm-panel/alarm2.yaml
      - packages/warning-beep.yaml
esphome:
  name: ${name}
  name_add_mac_suffix: false
api:
  encryption:
    key: UNIQUE_GENERATED_KEY_FOR_HOME_ASSISTANT

Now you can add/remove whatever packages you want!
Hope that helps!

1 Like

Nate - Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised as to how well the install process works. The board is loaded with a version of ESPHome firmware that most people will never need to mess with. All the zone configuration can be done in Homeassistant. I’ve used ESPHome for other projects and I’m learning a lot from you.

I suggest your documentation should cover copying the whole program from github rather than trying to delve into what needs to be added where in the adopted program.

2 Likes