ESP Home Adoption Failure

I have an Alarm Panel Pro board 1.8 that its installed and working well. I noticed that ESP Hoke Dashboard and the Connected app have the wrong IP address for the device and tried to correct by re-flashing the board. No problem flashing, and removed the board from ESP Home Dashboard. When trying to adopt the new device in ESP Home Dashboard, I receive the following error:

INFO ESPHome 2024.5.5
INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/konnected-98e674.yaml…
WARNING GPIO2 is a strapping PIN and should only be used for I/O with care.
Attaching external pullup/down resistors to strapping pins can cause unexpected failures.
See Frequently Asked Questions — ESPHome
WARNING GPIO15 is a strapping PIN and should only be used for I/O with care.
Attaching external pullup/down resistors to strapping pins can cause unexpected failures.
WARNING GPIO12 is a strapping PIN and should only be used for I/O with care.
WARNING GPIO5 is a strapping PIN and should only be used for I/O with care.
Failed config

ota: [source /data/packages/8735b6a9/packages/core-esp32.yaml:57]

expected a dictionary.

• platform: esphome

Anyone experience this and have thoughts on a solution?
Thanks,
Steve

More context, openapi-alarm-panel.yaml has the following error: ‘esphome’ section missing from configuration. Please make sure your configuration has an 'esphome: ’ line in it.

Update your installed version to ESPHome 2024.6.x
This change was made to accommodate required changes in ESPHome 2024.6.

opeanapi-alarm-panel.yaml is not an ESPHome config. This is the API spec that powers our developer documentation

Thanks Nate, this resolved the adoption issue.

I have a remaining issue in that the alarm sensors all say unavailable from ESPHome. Door beep from the Piezo stopped working as well. Ping shows no data loss.

The board keeps cycling between available and unavailable. Some Logbook entries:

Alarm Panel Pro Firmware turned off
5:49:32 PM - 13 seconds ago
Alarm Panel Pro Restart became unavailable
5:47:12 PM - 3 minutes ago
Alarm Panel Pro Device ID became unavailable
Alarm Panel Pro Ethernet IP Address became unavailable
Kitchen Door became unavailable
Alarm Panel Pro 98e674 Warning Beep became unavailable
Alarm Panel Alarm 2 became unavailable
Alarm Panel ProFirmware became unavailable
Alarm Panel Pro ESPHome Version became unavailable
Alarm Panel Pro 98e674 Alarm 1 became unavailable
Kitchen Motion became unavailable
Kitchen Glass became unavailable

Alarm Panel Pro Ethernet IP Address changed to 192.168.1.XX
5:43:04 PM - 9 minutes ago
Alarm Panel Pro ESPHome Version changed to 2024.6.1
5:43:04 PM - 9 minutes ago
Alarm Panel Pro Device ID changed to XXXX
5:43:04 PM - 8 minutes ago
Alarm Panel Pro 98e674 Alarm 2 turned off
Alarm Panel Pro 98e674 Alarm 1 turned off
Alarm Panel Pro 98e674 Warning Beep turned off
Kitchen Glass cleared (no vibration detected)
Kitchen Door was closed

The board’s LED flashes blue when sensors become unavailable.
Steve

@Sjmcman I’ll need to see some device logs to see what’s going on. This post details ways to stream the logs.

Logs from the ESPHome dashboard, @nate . Happy to provide more detail as needed.
Steve
logs_konnected-98e674_logs.txt (44.8 KB)

Lots of connection errors here that look suspicious. Connected by Ethernet?

If you are not using our pro-v1.8 package, make sure you add this phy_registers block into your config: konnected-esphome/alarm-panel-pro-v1.8-ethernet.yaml at b935ddeeac534e44a500363ee11871842958d019 · konnected-io/konnected-esphome · GitHub

Yes @nate , connected via Ethernet. I flashed the board as 1.8 Ethernet and the physical_registers code is in the alarm-panel-pro-v1.8-ethernet.yaml. Overnight logs are attached.
Am considering re-flashing to WIFI and see what happens, unless you have other ideas?
Steve
logs_konnected-98e674_logs-2.txt (435.4 KB)

It was just a guess. I thought that maybe that Ethernet issue snuck back in, but it sounds like you have the right firmware.

You can confirm with a ping test:
ping 192.168.x.x

(Put the actual IP address of your device) and check for any packet loss.

@nate, I get 85% packet loss when pinging the board; 0% packet loss when pinging HA Green.
Steve

Please post your firmware config.

Firmware: 2024.6.1 (Jun 21 2024, 14:34:26)
Hardware: 1.1.2

No, the actual YAML file.
You can redact any secrets.

Even though this says “hardware” what it really means is the Konnected package version. The Ethernet fix update for ESPHome 2024.6 was included in version 1.1.3. The current version is 1.1.4.

Your package is a couple revs out of date, so it’s not pulling in the Ethernet PHY config. That is the problem.

Hopefully that’s an easy fix. Which yaml would you like to see?

When you adopt in ESPHome dashboard, a YAML config file is generated for you. Then when you install/update from ESPHome dashboard, a new firmware is built using that YAML config. I need to see the YAML config that you are using to install/update the firmware on the Pro:

Gotcha, here’s the file. It reads the same as the konnected-XXX.yaml file in the esphome directory.
Steve
konnected-98e674.txt (335 Bytes)

Looks right.
It may have cached an older version. Click on clean build files to force it to refresh. You will probably have to re-flash with USB because the OTA update is unlikely to work without the correct Ethernet config.

Just re-flashed, there was no option for clean build files. There is a ‘reset device’ option when you click on logs, I didn’t do that. Will let you know how it goes.
Steve

The clean build files option is in ESPHome dashboard (see my screenshot above). What this does is clears out the cached build dependencies for ESPHome that are stored on your HA device filesystem.

I’m pretty sure what happened here is that an older version of Konnected’s firmware config packages were cached on your system. So that’s why after adopting it and building/installing from ESPHome dashboard the project version was downgraded.

If you don’t want the responsibility of maintaining your own firmware config and dependencies, you can use the Konnected app to manage firmware updates and customizations instead of in ESPHome. We’ve spent a lot of time and effort building a simple firmware management interface in the Konnected app, so I’d encourage you to try it.