GDO blaQ - sometimes garage door will not move when commanded

Ok I fixed the ESPHome dashboard build (again). Please try updating the firmware again via ESPHome’s update method.

Update worked, thanks!

FYI, you have a build warning still (but not error):

Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9b7b50/src/esphome/components/select/select.o
Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9b7b50/src/esphome/components/select/select_call.o
Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9b7b50/src/esphome/components/select/select_traits.o
src/esphome/components/secplus_gdo/secplus_gdo.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void esphome::secplus_gdo::GDOComponent::setup()’:
src/esphome/components/secplus_gdo/secplus_gdo.cpp:124:9: warning: missing initializer for member ‘gdo_config_t::obst_in_pin’ [-Wmissing-field-initializers]
};
^
Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9b7b50/src/esphome/components/sensor/automation.o
Compiling .pioenvs/konnected-9b7b50/src/esphome/components/sensor/filter.o

logs for https://community.konnected.io/t/gdo-blaq-sometimes-garage-door-will-not-move-when-commanded/35665/43 · GitHub was taken while I did the following:

• press wall button to open the garage and it opens
  • down arrow in HA to close garage, sound plays but garage doesn’t close, down arrow greyed out in HA
  • open cover device in HA to slide to close, sound plays but garage doesn’t close
  • press wall button to close garage and it doesn’t close but does clear a message on the wall button that says “PRESS THE PUSH BAR TO ACTIVATE CONTROL SEE USER MANUAL”
  • press wall button a second time to close the garage and it closes

1 Like

I saved a very large log, but since “new users can’t attach files”, I’ll be emailing it to you nate…

(I saw no failure immediately after flashing, but most times don’t see any problems immediately following a reboot of the device)

nate, give us a heads up if you want certain tests or more logs, or if we go into a holding pattern for next update…

1 Like

Quick update here. We think we’ve figured out the issue. It’s definitely a code bug and not a hardware bug, thankfully.

My firmware engineer Ryan has already made a fix here: Send the close command twice if the toggle command was used to open. by h2zero · Pull Request #5 · konnected-io/gdolib · GitHub

More testing is needed. I will follow up tomorrow. We should have this fixed and packaged up for release quickly.

2 Likes

Great news!

Do you have any thoughts about the “PRESS THE PUSH BAR TO ACTIVATE CONTROL SEE USER MANUAL” message on the wall controller? Can we fork off a separate discussion thread about that issue? It’s very annoying and happens every day. We sometimes need to push the wall control bar 3 or more times before the garage will open.

This could be related. What does the user manual say about this message? What condition causes it?

Ok an update should be available now via ESPHome dashboard update. Can you guys give it a try?

Unfortunately I don’t have the manual. The garage door openers were installed before we purchased the home. LiftMaster, from what I understand, is more of a service oriented branch of Chamberlain meaning that home owners are encouraged to call the local LiftMaster technician to come out and service the units.

The “PRESS THE PUSH BAR TO ACTIVATE CONTROL SEE USER MANUAL” seems to occur most often when the motion detection is activated (i.e. I walk by the remote). Perhaps the rolling code is getting out of sync and the wall panel goes into this mode as a safe fallback.

I’ll do the firmware update and see if that changes anything.

@user107 @scelfo @Oral_Allen Please do the update and let me know if that fixes the opening/closing issue for you. I’ve gotten confirmation from one other internal tester that this has resolved the problem for them!

@scelfo It looks like other users have had this problem with that particular push-button using ratgdo as well: Installed a ratgdo, now getting error on my wall control - Hardware - Home Assistant Community
Maybe it’s not related and we should create a separate thread for it.

1 Like

I was able to install but won’t be able to test until I get back into town.

I’ll update and test!

The “press the push bar” message issue is the same as what’s described in Installed a ratgdo, now getting error on my wall control - Hardware - Home Assistant Community. @nate how do you want Konnected to handle ratgdo issues, should we comment on the ratgdo thread/issue or fork a separate discussion in the Konnected forums? Happy to do either, just let me know.

Just make a new thread here. We share some of the libraries and patterns from ratgdo but aren’t using the actual ratgdo code. We’ve published our own garage door library open-source that is an adaptation/derivative of ratgdo.

1 Like

Open, close and stop functionally is working great with the new firmware.

The push the bar error message is still happening and I’ll start a new thread about it. (update: see below, I’m not going to start a new thread yet, it seems like it might still be related)

1 Like

Morning update… the new firmware does not fix the problem.

I opened up ESPHome to start capturing the following logs in case the firmware update didn’t resolve flakiness: 2024-04-17-logs_konnected-9c4440_logs.txt · GitHub

I opened the garage door with the wall button.

I pressed the down arrow in HA and blaQ played the warning melody but then the garage did not close. The up and down arrows in HA were in their greyed out state.

I tried closing the garage by using the cover slider in HA. Again blaQ played the warning melody but the garage didn’t close.

I was able to close the garage by pushing the wall button.

After the garage finished closing I saw the wall panel enter the “push the bar” state. When it transitions into this state, the display is blank for a little while then there is a random color flash on the screen which looks a lot like a bootup/initialization sequence of the lcd controller. Based on comments on the ratgdo forum it seems like the wall panel does this reboot sequence into “push the bar” state if it gets out of sync with the rolling codes.

I did not push the bar on the wall panel and instead tried hitting open, stop and then close in HA and all three worked without issue. Note that when the wall button is in this state it stops sending motion detection events.

It sure seems like there is a rolling code sync issue, maybe blaQ is not handling the rolling code update events from the wall panel. Possibly the motion detection events? I’m guessing motion detection because that’s something unique about this style wall panel and perhaps why you aren’t seeing these flaky problems with all users. Looking at the logs, it seems like a motion detection event came in both times blaQ attempted to close the garage (between playing the melody and when it would actually send the close command). Maybe blaQ isn’t properly handling the rolling code updates while it’s in the “about to close” state.

How confident are you guys about the double close event patch? That seemed like a strange fix, perhaps it’s not actually necessary. Send the close command twice if the toggle command was used to open. by h2zero · Pull Request #5 · konnected-io/gdolib · GitHub would be a quirky thing to keep around if it doesn’t actually fix flakiness.

@scelfo I think this might be related to your wall button issue. Others (without this fancy wall button) have reported that the fix works.

It looks like that LCD smart button is sending door commands over the wire that are unknown to us at this point, and that may be contributing to the problem. Can you confirm that this wall button is the LiftMaster 880LMW? We’re going to try to get one on eBay to play with.

Nate,

this brings up a good question: does this blaQ device have any interactions with the remotes or wifi (myQ) systems other than seeing the resulting status of door position or sensor states AFTER their commands are processed?

I have a touchpad “remote” (one you enter 4digits and press open), that has a “close without code” flow, so I’m wondering if the variety of wireless cases like this are something you want more scrutiny on… OR, if all the wireless remotes and MyQ are completely segregated from the systems we’re essentially connecting and interacting with?

My wall button definitely looks like an 880LMW. I’ll post a reply here in a few hours with a picture of the back side of my wall button which should have a model number and manufacture date. A google image search for 880LMW shows that a few revisions all seem to share the 880LMW name. There also seem to be some forum posts talking about problems that LiftMaster fixed with later revisions.

The motion sensor on the wall button is a really cool feature to have because my opener’s light turns on automatically when I walk into the garage. I’d like to keep that functionality but I would happily upgrade my wall control button if it turns out that I have an old hardware revision that isn’t common and causes problems.