Connecting a Temperature & Humidity sensor

@Michael

When using a separate power source for a remote sensor the ground from your 2nd power supply would have to be tied back to the ground on konnected board, thus completing the circuit.

The reason you were able to take power and ground from the aux board and send a digital signal to the alarm board is probably because you are using the same power supply for both boards thus there grounds are bond together via the power supply.

@Adwalter,

Thank you for the feedback!  I will try that tonight.  that makes total sense now.  Been working in the software world too long and forgetting the basics.

Trying to help a 21 unit condo complex replace their old dated temp monitoring system.  Was going to set them up with Wifi and use wireless sensors, but found the Konnected kit and decided to try to use their existing wires... 

THanks Again!

Mike   

BMP280 sensor supported? Thank you

@Laszlo,
I don’t believe the native konnected supports this device. This is a temperature and pressure sensor which use an I2C communications bus. If your familiar with adding device handlers Smarthings you might check out the ST_Anything package which has support for the BMP280 sensor.
https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-st-anything-v2-9-6-arduino-esp8266-esp32-to-st-via-thingshield-ethernet-or-wifi/77707

Thank you.

One more question...

Is it possible to adjust the measured temperature value? 

Thank you

@Laszlo, 

Since your posting this on the Konnected support sight then I'm assuming your using the Konnected device drivers supported in the Konnected app. If this is the case then the current version of the Konnected drivers do NOT support applying a temperature offset value to the measured temperature provided by the temperature sensor.

If interested in other methods to read and adjust the temperature you may want to investigate the SmartThings community website. https://community.smartthings.com/ 

Greg

Greg

@Laszlo, 

Just out of curiosity I found the the Konnected Device Handler Groovy source code on Github.  

https://github.com/konnected-io/konnected-security/tree/master/devicetypes/konnected-io

And it appears there is a device handler for the BMP280 temperature sensor you asked about before. 

https://github.com/konnected-io/konnected-security/tree/master/devicetypes/konnected-io/konnected-temperature-probe-ds18b20.src

Also the repository also has the DHT temperature sensor source code which would be a good place to start if you wanted to modify the handler to include a temperature sensor offset feature. 

https://github.com/konnected-io/konnected-security/tree/master/devicetypes/konnected-io/konnected-temperature-humidity-sensor-dht.src

@Laszlo,

Were you able to figure out how to adjust the temperature?

Paul

Yes. I made a template sensor based on the real sensor data:

sensor:

- platform: template

sensors:

new_temp_sensor:

friendly_name: "adjusted temp"

unit_of_measurement: '°C'

value_template: "{{ states('sensor.original_temp_temperature')|float - 2.5 }}"

ok, so you have a variance of =?- 2.5 degrees C?  Kinda new to all this.  So using this, for example, you can set your temp to lets say 20 degrees and it will not go outside 17.5 to 22.5?  I using this as a setup for my garage heater.

This example create a new sensor, which will report 2.5degrees celsius less than the real sensor value.

Ok, i see.  But are you able to adjust the temperature remotely?  or at the very least, will this set-up keep a constant temperature?

Thanks for the help.

The sensor measured higher value than the real temperature. this solution is just adjust the value to the real temperature.

You can set up a virtual thermostat based on the sensor:

climate:  

- platform: generic_thermostat

name: "virtual-thermostat"

heater: switch.heater_relay

target_sensor: sensor.new_temp_sensor

Laszlo, could you provide more details on how you were able to offset the temp/humidity? Did you create a virtual sensor that used inputs from the real sensor? My sensor is off quite a bit.

Hi,

Here is my config, it will reduce the original sensor value by 2:

sensor:

- platform: template

sensors:

new_temp_sensor:

friendly_name: "Adjusted temp"

unit_of_measurement: '°C'

value_template: "{{ states('sensor.original_temperature')|float - 2 }}"

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I’m not too familiar with this, could you provide more detailed steps? I need to create a virtual thermostat and use the code you provided somehow?

This code for Home assistant.

You can put it in the configuration yaml file.

after restart the HA It will create a new sensor. 

just substitute the sensor.original_temperature name with your original thermostat name.

Oh, I’m running ST… haha never mind :slight_smile:

Did anybody figure out how to get t his working for a 50ft distance from the board?  What pieces are needed. 

@Stephen Kaplan

I’ve successfully used the dht22 temperature and humidity sensors with approx 12ft of network wire and multiple 18b20 temp sensor at over 20ft using just old network wire and the standard 4.7k pullup resistor.

But what I find works best for me is just putting boards in multiple locations.
I have 8 different konnected boards all throughout my property.

The one in my utility room monitors the hot and cold water via 18b20’s, the room temp and humidity via the dht22, a buzzer, a siren, and in the future probably door contact, water contact, and water shutoff.

When I get a chance I will check and see how long of a wire will work with these two sensors