Amazon Fire Tablets to replace keypad

@Apex,

How do you configure the clocktab.com look using Fully Kiosk Browser?  The screensaver from there is initiating the clocktab web page, but I cannot configure it, cause as soon as I touch the screen the clock goes away.  Do I have to change the start url of FKB to clocktab.com first and configure it?  I didn't want do do that and loose the ActionTiles huge url.

Reenable the address bar in the Fully Kiosk browser.

Make sure the settings within Fully Kiosk have cookies enabled.

Visit clocktab.com and adjust the clock to how you want it.

It should hold the settings when you re-visit the page. (test it out in the browser)

I have recently switched to DAK  Board. It is a little fancier and it has more customizations but a basic clock. You can also view a Nest Cam live feed directly. I have this setup as a digital peephole for my front door using my Nest Hello.

I have my tablet set up with DAKBoard as the screensaver that shows my Nest Hello, Clock, Nest Thermostats temp, Weather forecast, and calendars. I had to change the screensaver settings to "touch" instead of "motion detection"

Having all of this as my screensaver allows me to use ActionsTiles more to control my smart home and less as eye candy.

Oh, that one looks even better. I still haven’t found a solution for combining my ActionTiles and playback of my mp3 playlist. I have been using Fully+ClockTab+ActionTiles / VLC. Problem is that if I leave Fully active I find VLC is dropping out of memory even though it is actively playing in the background. If I have VLC active, I don’t get the nice screensaver and it takes a few seconds when switching between them when it has been idle. This is probably something about the memory on my Fire 8.

I am definitely going to look at DAK Board to replace ClockTab though.

So you only need 2 of the 4 wires going to the keypad to replace with a tablet? Would it be better if I wired 2 together and used that as one wire, then the other 2 for the other wire?

Yes, you will only need 2 of the wires to power the tablet. I wouldn't connect the 4 pair to make a 2 pair.

You can use the other 2 for something else. I used my other 2 for the piezo buzzer and put it in the wall behind the tablet.

OK.. just doesn't seem like much wire for the power. I supposed this ties in on the aux power on the board? Does it matter which board? My main board has 2 plugs (one positive and one negative I assume). Add on boards has 3 slots.

You can connect the wires to the AUX +/- on the Konnected board or the legacy board to power the tablet. Most tablets are 5v so you should get a voltage converter that are available at Konnected.io

I assume by Legacy board, you are referring to the Add-On board?

By "legacy board" I mean your old alarm board. Basically you just need a 12V DC source which you can step down to 5V. You choices for that would be - Old Board aux, Konnected Main or Add-on Board AUX. 

I am looking to replace my keypads with tablets as well.  I would love to do more to control my smart home than just SmartThings on ActionTiles.  Is there a way to add Wink, Nest, Phillips, and/or any other integrations on the tablet?

Sorry if my question sounds elementary.  I'm just beginning my homework and don't necessarily know where to start.  Thanks for any help you can provide!

It would depend on the tablet you choose. If you there is a kindle (android) app, you could switch between them and it should provide some level of control. But I don't think there is a single integrated interface. Action tiles can control most things in ST but not other hubs.

Is the 3D Case still available?

Do you have a link to that flat usb cable?

So I want to get this frame/USB cable combo but I am having a hard time justifying spending 10 bucks more for the frame and cable than I did for the tablets.

@ApexDestroyer13

What does the 'Alarm Status - Disarmed' tile do on your Action Tiles (top left)?  This appears to be a Smart Home Monitor tile, no?  If so, I tried using the new SmartThings app, which includes this new functionality, but it only picks up some of my Konnected devices.  Can you provide more details on what this tiles does for you? 

I'm basically looking for tile/functionality that will prevent the siren from firing if I put the system in a 'disabled' state. 

Sorry for the stupid question if I buy a SmartThings hub a voltage converter a fire 7 and install the SmartThings app to change my dsc keypad will it work and then buy the konnected board later on when it will be more easer to sign up with SmartThings and all that sign up instructions. Thanks

An alternative way to mount your Fire HD7 tablet:

I recently got two Fire HD7 7th Gen tablets for $10 each.  My house was prewired for an alarm system, so I've been slowly building it out.  Today I got an initial five zones up and running, not I want to play with the tablets before moving on.

I bought this case, this USB right angle plug, and this 12V/24V - 5V step down adapter.  I'll mount the case to an existing single gang box in the wall.  The case actually looks quite smooth and refined.

I'm also not sure I want to use Action Tiles, but I'm looking into webCore.  Here's the Google Play link for it.

I don't know how refined it is yet, but we'll find out.  This thread got me turned on to it.

Once I've got the integration done I'll be happy to post some photos.  Right now everything is just in hacky stage and not photo worthy.

First I want to say that I have been looking for something like this for some time now. This is great!!!
The only issue I have with this is that I will need to make this solution VERY user friendly for a few family menbers is my house. The easiest would be to keep my current keypad and just change the backend. But I don’t want to deal with the complexity of having to disarm two systems, etc.
I really like the tablet idea, but won’t this pose a security issue if the tablet is unloicked? I know I can lock the screen on a tablet but wanted to know if there is a pin code to arm\disarrm the alarm similar to the old keypad?

Yes.  Actiontiles allows you to set a pin to any of the tiles if you want to.

Great!
Thanks