Garage Door Opener & Alert Project

@Greg. Back with more pictures and observations. Attached are the 2 pictures of wall button board from each side. I did what you asked (sort of). I powered off the NodeMCU board and thus relay and joined 2 wires of the wall button shortly and the garage door opened which means it's a momentary switch. I also noticed that as soon as I powered off NodeMCU, the wall button light came on. Also, when I powered back the NodeMCU and (I believe) as soon as it acquired wifi connection, the wall button stopped receiving power. It didn't happen as soon as I powered on NodeMCU but rather took a few seconds which I guess was the time to acquire wifi connection. Hope this helps you in helping me. :-)

Vishal,
I just had another thought on your configuration after completing my last message.
Let try a different approach. Let’s use the relay in a NC (normally closed) configuration. Remove the the wires from pin 2 on the door opener. Then connect the wall switch wire just removed from pin 2 to one of the terminals on the NC relay. Then connect the other terminal of the NC relay back to pin 2 on the door opener. With the relay in the NC configuration the circuit from the wall switch will be completed when the relay is inactive. When either the wall switch or NodeMCU relay are activated it opens the circuit and may activate the door opener.
-Greg

Greg. Follow up questions to make sure I am doing the right thing and not blowing up anything. Here is a depiction of what I already have. Please ignore the artistic look of my picture. :-D It's nowhere close to how you showed your setup.

So if you look here, NodeMCU config is simple. Connecting D1 to Relay and providing power as well. It's currently a NO relay which means NO port is connected to pin 1 on garage door opener (or pin 2.. don't remember right now while sitting in office) and COM is connected to 2 (or 1). Wall switch is also connected to pins 1 & 2 on garage door opener.

What you're suggesting is:

1. Remove Relay'S NO wire from it and attach it to NC

2. Remove both wall switch and Relay wires from pin 2 

3. Connect wall switch wire removed from pin 2 and attach it to NC on same relay where another wire is already connected as mentioned in step 1 above

4. Attach relay's previously removed wire from step 2 above to pin 2 again

This should keep the circuit closed/completed for wall switch thus providing it power (light will be ON on the wall switch then). Now, whenever either wall switch or NodeMCU is activated, it should open the circuit and garage door should operate.

Questions:

1. WILL ANYTHING BLOW UP? :-D

2. Is my understanding above correct? Especially the part where Relay's NC will have 2 wires: one coming from wall switch and other going out to garage door.

3. WILL ANYTHING BLOW UP? :-D

Please (don't) ignore the blow up question asked twice. I recently spent around $1000 when garage door spring broke and some other part in the motor. Don't want to spend more money on that. TIA for your patience and time.

@Vishal, 

I would suggest using a proven configuration which I have confidence in given its the method I used for my own garage door opener which has been in service without issues for a year. 

To ensure this method works for your garage door opener I would suggest running a quick test. 

1.) Disconnect the NO relay wires to Pins 1 & 2 on the door opener. 

2.) Verify the wall switch wires are attached to Pins 1 & 2 on the door opener and the back of the wall switch

3.) With the wall switch NOT mounted to the wall take a small jumper wire and momentarily touch across the switch pins which are diagonal from each other on the back of the switch. See attached diagram to identify the switch pins. 

4.) Verify the door opener activates when you momentarily jumper across the switch pins in step 3. 

5.) If the door opener activates then proceed to configure system as shown in the attached diagram. 

6.) Happy Home Automation!

Note: 

This will require some soldering on the back of your existing wall switch and to relocate the NodeMCU (ESP8266) and Relay closer to the wall switch. It may also require you to relocate the NodeMCU and NO Relay closer to the wall switch. 

-Greg 

Greg, thanks for detailed steps with diagram. I can try what you're saying but moving NodeMCU and relay closer to wall switch isn't that easy. There is no power near the wall switch and they are 15 ft apart. I can then run the wire from wall switch to Relay. It's doable but then 15 ft of wire running in the garage. It won't look that good. Not sure how I can pass it thru the wall like the existing wall switch wire. Will see if I can do that but I will atleast run the test to be sure and let you know.

Vishal, 

Just to ensure you understand the soldering points on the wall switch I modified an identical switch I had to show your the location of where to solder the two wires coming from the NO relay module. 

Greg, I did the test by touching mentioned wires momentarily and the garage door activated. However, running the wires from wall switch to relay is a problem. I couldn’t fish the wire. I even went in attic to see and could see the wire but fishing from wall till attic and attic to opener is a problem right now. Will see if I can achieve it otherwise will have to look for other options. Thank you so much for all the help.

Vishal, Thank you for the response. Well at least you have one known potential solution. Just out of curiosity, it might be interesting to determine if when the relay and NodeMCU are connected to the two pins on the back of the wall switch if the wall switch light remains lit.
Another test would be to disconnect the two wires from the NO relay but leave the other ends connected to pins 1&2. Momentarily touch the two wires together and see if the door activates. If yes, this mimics what the NO relay does when momentarily activated by the NodeMCU. If this test activates the door opener then there has to be some type of negative influence the relay has when connected into the system. Can you provide the model of the NO relay and a picture of it connected into the system. I’m very interested in the details of the wires from pins 1&2 into the relay.
-Greg

Hi Greg. Apologies for the late reply. I kind of overlooked the email and noticed today what you were asking. Here are a few answers for the questions you asked:

• The wall switch light comes on as soon as I remove the Konnected setup
  • I removed wires from relay and momentarily touched those. Garage door activated.
  • This is the relay I am using
    DAOKI 5 PCS 5v Relay Module for Arduino ARM PIC AVR MCU 5V Indicator Light LED 1 Channel Relay Module Works with Official Arduino Boards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XT0OSUQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WQfHCbD1T7W1M

For now I have bought an extra remote and attached it on wall which serves the purpose.

I also have same problem as Vishal. In my case i have Liftmaster garage door opener. If i connect nodemcu without relay directly to garage opener it triggers open close but the physical wall remote goes offline. The down side is everytime node restarts it triggers open close in my case. I dont have base for node mcu. If i add 5v relay to setup, it doesn’t trigger open close. its frustrating. I think the nodemcu is eating up voltage or making an open circuit which gets no power to wall switch. My node mcu is latest and it has only 3v power. I think the relay needs minimum 5v to trigger. Its frustrating.

@Roman,
You can purchase a NodeMCU Base to provide the required 5vdc for the relay. My recommendation on a solution is the same as I used for my system. That is to connect the Normally Open 5vdc relay to connect across the wall mounted switch to mimic the action of the switch when it is depressed. It’s been working for me for over a year without any issues. Reference some of my previous posted for details.
Best of luck.

Greg

I also face the issue of garage opening in case of power outage. @Greg, di you see the same iasue with your setup? I am thinking of getting a battery from Konnected store unless there is another option.

@Vishal,
Never had any issues with power outages activating the opener in my setup. Since my relay is acting as the momentary contact to activate the opener and its unpowered state is open a power outage doesn’t trigger the relay.

Greg
Thank you for the suggestion. I got the new v3 nodemcu with base, hooked it up my relay and now its working. I gave the 9v power to base. In my case, i am powering using the usb without base. Even though my multimeter reading shows 5v, its not triggering the relay. Once i got the base, the setup started working. I didn’t need to solder wires to wall remote, i just fed it directly to garage motor like Vishal. Now both wall switch and nodemcu setup works. Its also not triggering relay on power outages.

Vishal,
I had similar problem like you, triggering switch on power outages, wall switch not working. Not sure if it will do the trick, but try putting the jumper in H mode instead of L mode on relay. Get atleast 9v power into nodemcu base. In your pictures, you are using the same relay as mine. Get all three connected to relays input. Play with NO and COM wires going to motor. If you need to use NC mode on relay, it will eat the voltage and your wall switch wont work.

@Roman. Thanks for the update. Will try it as soon as I get time.

@Roman. I tried high level trigger as well as changing wires on garage door opener but no luck. My wall button still doesn’t work and garage door opens after power outage. Is it possible for you to share picturrs of your setup?

Have you been able to make It working ?

@Vishal @Gordon I have the same issue. Even after soldering the physical temporary switch is not working but the using the relay trigger the door. I think what I need is a voltmeter to check continuity and voltage....

@roman Any advice ?

Here is my setup :

@Maxime,

My configuration has worked for three years. From the second picture I see you solidered a red and black wire to the wall garage door controller pcb. I assume the the two points you solidered to are the back side of a momentary normally open switch. When the switch is depressed do the two solider points have continuity. Check with a meter. Based on the third picture I see a red and black wires attached to a relay. I assume these are the red and black wires soldered to the controller pcb and connected to the two post for the normally open side of the relay. When the relay is activated the normally open relay closes and provides continuity for the controller switch. I assume the relay is connected to a konnected board and controlled using the a konnected pin configured as a momentary switch. It would be helpful if you would provide a schematic of your configuration showing each device and the interconnects.

Greg Gordon

@Greg

It looks like that :

Thanks Greg for your support !

" I assume the the two points you solidered to are the back side of a momentary normally open switch."  Yes, you are right.

" When the switch is depressed do the two solider points have continuity. Check with a meter." I have to buy one. I will let you know when I can test It. I will check on amazon tonight.

"Based on the third picture I see a red and black wires attached to a relay. I assume these are the red and black wires soldered to the controller pcb and connected to the two post for the normally open side of the relay. When the relay is activated the normally open relay closes and provides continuity for the controller switch. I assume the relay is connected to a konnected board and controlled using the a konnected pin configured as a momentary switch. " Yes, It is how It is intended.

"It would be helpful if you would provide a schematic of your configuration showing each device and the interconnects." See previous post.